Saturday 4 May 2013

Introduction to Vejle

I have finally arrived in Denmark! My plane landed last night in Billund Airport, via a layover in Norway's Oslo, which was freezing, but a great experience as a city to explore. My Rotary host Carsten Filso met me at the airport and has since taken really great care of me. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting the other Vejle Rotary club members yet, but will be doing so soon. I am excited about my busy agenda for the next 3 weeks (and have many choices on which path to pursue after this) which so far involves:

  • Work involving the physical installation of solar and geothermal energy systems at Rosborg Gymnasium, a secondary high school/ college.
  • Learning from the university lecturers who will be assisting in doing this and teaching me how it works.
  • Involvement with Greenscan's (the renewable energy company working in conjunction with Rosborg Gymnasium http://www.greenscan.dk/ ) exhibition at the energy fair to be held in Copenhagen 23-25 May.
  • Other associated work with Greenscan.
Keep you posted soon ;)
Matt

A general article outlining Denmark's entrepreneurial green economy movement forecast to 2050.

Like I said, Carsten is taking great care of me! We enjoyed some Danish pastries, cheese and breads fresh from the bakery for a Saturday breakfast on my first day in Vejle.

7 of many specific containers for recycling. In Denmark, each town has its own small-scale waste recycling/treatment plant, where residents can visit, sort and dispose of all their recyclable waste and greenwaste for free.

A car taking its greenwaste for free disposal, which is then collected, mounted on heaps (right), mulched (far left) and sold as quality nutritious garden compost. 

Vejle's famous waterfront apartments, designed to represent the sea's rhythmic waves. 

Last, got to love what a tiny hit of culture shock can do! In a pub busting for the loo, and no grasp of Danish language nor any pictures, left me playing Alice in Wonderland clueless which door to open and the subsequent  fear i'd open the wrong door and burst in all flustered on some poor annoyed Danish woman...nevertheless I guessed ''Damer'' was the Danish adaptation from the Old English ''Dame'' or France's ''Madamoiselle'' so for the record, all turned out OK and I was relieved in peace! Haha

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matthew I am very excited for you - what a wonderful opportunity. Thanks for sharing the beginning of your Danish experience

    ReplyDelete